Thursday, December 4, 2014

Open Places



In the midst of these days, there is a deepening recognition that life now contains a great deal of open space and a whole lot of quiet. Life is different. The knee jerk reaction is to fill that space with the first thing that comes along…with work, activities, books, music, social engagements…with anything and everything. 

But somehow I hear the still, small voice suggesting a better way..suggesting that there is a wonderful lesson to be learned in allowing the open place to be as it will..that silence can indeed be a wonderful teacher. 

Our lives are busy. Mostly we can easily recount the things that we have gotten done, are doing, or need to get done. Our to do list seems to be never ending. We wonder where the day goes and time really does seem to fly. 

It takes courage to face open space and not hurry to fill it. It takes determination to be ok with silence and not seek to push it aside. 

This morning’s prayers were from Psalm 18. This verse caused me to stop and linger…

He brought me out into an open place; he saved me, because he delighted in me. (Psalm 18:19)

I never, ever thought of the open space or the silence as a gift. I have not said thank you for leading me to such a wide and open place. I never for one minute considered that the open place is the place where I am saved over and over again. I never welcomed this open place in my life, the place that was once occupied by my beloved. I almost missed His delight in me, because I was intent on refusing this gift. Never that is, until this morning...

Almost missed it… May God grant us the wisdom and courage to embrace the open places in our lives.

Thank you to all who weep, mourn, laugh, and celebrate with me. I am grateful for your presence in my life. Let us remember to pray for others who are suffering. 

…grace and peace...cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment