Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lenten Silence






Psalm 62:5-7
For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.
On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God.

This morning it is snowing here. The snow brings a glorious silence. It is clean, beautiful, and still. It is a perfect picture of Lent...a season of reflection, quiet, and silence.

For many, a usual Lenten practice is to give up or subtract. Facebook is full of many posting about what they are "giving up" for Lent. "Unvirtuous Abbey" provides a daily Facebook post from a Jesuit Community that takes a wry approach to religion in America. Their take on "giving up" for lent was pointed in this recent post - "For those who view Lent as a 40 day weight loss plan, Lord deliver us."

But some have taken a different approach...choosing to add in vs. give up.

Some have added silence.

Silence has a way of making room for something else. Silence reminds us not just to listen but to really hear. Silence enables us to give way to others, to give way to their thoughts, ideas, and needs. Silence enables us to defer to another. Silence steps aside to allow others to be first. Silence cares more about another's need versus our own. Silence helps us set aside our own judgemental thoughts and the need to comment on everything we hear.

Silence creates a space where we can hear the voice of God speak quietly in our heart.

grace and peace...

note: I truly wish I could give credit for this beautiful winter picture found on Facebook. Unfortunately there was not a photo credit listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment