Sunday, March 3, 2013

Give It Up




Come to me...Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly. (Matthew 11 selected verses)

This morning I sat in my favorite chair, nestled in my daily devotions. Cooper our golden retriever came silently padding into the room. Causally he stood in front of me with a wad of paper towels protruding from his jowls. Gently I motioned to him to lay whatever it was in my lap. He deposited his prize which had been fished out of the trash. I smiled.

He rarely searches for treasure in the trash. He rarely takes what isn't his. And he almost never gives anything up that easily. But today he did...and I was amazed.

Lent is usually a season where I am encouraged to let go in order to make space for something new. This Lent is no exception. Trouble is that I don't usually surrender anything as easily as Cooper did this morning. When Jesus said, "Come to me", he didn't say, "Get your act together and then come."

He simply said, "Come."

Today I find Lent beckoning me to come and let go of whatever smelly thing I insist on carrying. No retribution. No harsh words. No accusations. Just come.

grace and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment