Friday, March 8, 2013

Oh, Were You Talking To Me?




Isaiah 30:19-22 (The Message) Oh yes, people of Zion, citizens of Jerusalem, your time of tears is over. Cry for help and you’ll find it’s grace and more grace. The moment he hears, he’ll answer. Just as the Master kept you alive during the hard times, he’ll keep your teacher alive and present among you. Your teacher will be right there, local and on the job, urging you on whenever you wander left or right: “This is the right road. Walk down this road.”

My dog Cooper came to us from a rescue organization. Their mission is to take on dogs that are unwanted or are surrendered by owners that are unable to care for them, address any health issues, and then find them new homes. The new owners are carefully chosen. As a perspective owner you are interviewed, submit to an inspection of your home, and then sign a contract pledging to care for the dog.

But as for the dog...well you get what you get. The dogs often bring an unknown history. Sometimes these dogs live in your home for awhile before quirky behaviors are surfaced.

Cooper has selective hearing syndrome.

Recently he began to ignore the command, "Come". I got louder. I was softer. I yelled. I whistled. I clapped. I stomped my feet. Nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. In frustration I turned to the Internet for some answers because I am not the Dog Whisperer!

One site put it plainly. Call your dog once, then once more. If he does not come, get the leash and go out and get him. Do not call him again...

He heard you the first time.

I could not help but think about the above verse from Isaiah."Cry for help...the moment he hears he will answer." What a promise! What a comfort. God hears us when we cry for help. No need to yell, or to stamp our feet. In our deepest need he will show us the way to go. He hears us the first time.

grace and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment