Friday, March 9, 2012

Life Gets Up Ended!

The cupcakes looked amazing as the baker lovingly placed them into a custom fitted box.  Each cupcake had it's own little seat. How clever and how cute I thought! The lid was carefully taped shut, the box placed level in a bag and away I went...off to finish my shopping at our local farmer's market.  

The cupcakes remained upright for perhaps five minutes at the most as I unknowingly sacrificed them to give a good friend a hug.  You see my friend was going through rough times and a hug was the best I could offer at that moment.  

So how do we handle being "tossed around" in life like those cupcakes?

We have choices...we can shake our fists in anger.  We can retreat to lick our wounds.  We can lash out at loved ones.  Or we can look at life with the attitude and say "it is what it is" and move forward by the grace of God.  We do get to choose our attitude even though we have no say in the circumstance.

Paul's letter to James puts it this way. 

 "Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought." (James 1:2-5 MSG) 

A friend  says that in life's hard times we must put on our "big girl faith panties" because suffering and difficulty will force our faith right out into the open for the world to see.    

Somehow in my journeying through the farmer's market, I finally remembered my lovely cupcakes.  Sure enough it was a full fledged cupcake disaster!  Even though I lovingly tried to upright them, there was no repairing what had happened, no going back in time, no do-overs.   So when I got home, I simply got out a fork.  It is what it is.  And they were delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment