Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cricket Harmony






As I drove home from work in the early evening I opened the windows and turned off the radio. When I came to a stop on a country road the stillness of late summer was palpable. But what really caught my ear was the sound of the crickets. Crickets in the cornfield chirping a beautiful melody in the early evening stillness and I almost missed it.

'A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper. When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he muffled his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave, and stood there. A quiet voice asked, "So Elijah, now tell me, what are you doing here?"' (I Kings 19:13)

Often times the pace of life moves so quickly we miss the small things...the sacred embedded in the ordinary. We miss the beautiful embedded in the common. We miss the quiet voice of God found in the gentle and quiet whisper.

grace and peace....

No comments:

Post a Comment